Tuesday, October 20, 2009

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.

So... it's been a crazy couple of weeks.

First, I've decided to shoot a few scenes for some fabulous actors looking to diversify their reels. It will give me an opportunity to not only diversify myself but also work with some new people in the field that I love. I have decided to only do five scenes so that I can fully focus on the scenes and make them as fantastic as they can possibly be. That being said... I look forward to the possibility of shooting a few more next year at some point.

Then there is Hope. I am currently editing the project and will be finishing a cut by month's end. Great performances from great people. Working with high caliber actors makes my job a lot easier in post... and for that I cannot thank them enough. The score is about to be written and then mixed into the deliverables. This is a huge departure for me but I am so proud of the product. I look forward to sharing footage in the upcoming days.

On Nov. 3rd my brother Jason and I start adapting my dad's book 'My Soul to Take' to screenplay format. This will be the first screenplay that my brother and I will be writing together and we are both looking forward to it very much. We will also be making our debut as co-directors. We've never really enjoyed the 'brother' moniker on films but we really do work well together so it absolutely makes sense. Our good friend Robert Blanche has signed on to Produce the movie as well. We really all just think similarly and are all focused on the project as a stepping stone to bigger and better worlds of filmmaking. This is our next movie... and we are VERY excited about it. We are loosely planning on shooting early 2010. We'll know more specifics in the upcoming weeks. I'll be sure to keep you posted. :)

Jason and I have also been tapped to be on a panel on Nov. 6th. You can find out more information here: http://jcomm.uoregon.edu/whatisfilm/program/about-the-conference

My last feature film 'Pray for Hell' is being released by Cinema Epoch on Nov. 10th. The movie will be playing at the Clinton Street Theater from Nov. 1st - 5th. We are currently planning a DVD release party for Sunday the 1st. I'll keep you posted on the details. In the meantime... if you haven't had a chance please consider pre-ordering the film or put in in your Netflix cue at the links below. If you've already done so please go back and write a review of the film on either site as well. The more people that write, comment, and rate the film the better. Whatever you can do would be appreciated. Check it out!


Lastly a personal note. My dad had a mild stroke on Saturday. It was a scary few days. I've spent the countless last hours contemplating my father, his life, and his effect on mine. He raised us on movies and in church. We would go to church 3 days a week in one capacity or another learning about the bible and all things faith based. Then on a Saturday night my father would sit us down and show us a 16MM print of Night of the Living Dead. Just before he would turn out the lights and start up the projector he would sit us down and tell us about the making of the movie. He was our own personal guide to all things film making. He would tell us of the hardships and eventual joys of telling stories on film and I wouldn't change a thing about my upbringing in hindsight. He and my mother are the source of my faith and he alone is to blame for the monster that I am... a filmmaker. And I thank him for it.

That being said... my dad is home and is healing. It'll take time to recover... but I am so thankful that I see in his eyes the man that I love so dearly. He'll make a full recovery and be there to root us on as we continue down our very long path toward our goals of having not just a career but a filmography. Not everything we've done is great... nor will everything we do from this point forward... but what we will know is that we are shooting for the stars that we saw in our father's eyes all those years ago in front of that huge, white, 4:3 screen on the wall. Movies are threaded within our DNA and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you Dad. I love you.

Whew... that was a lot.

That's it. That's all. I'll update soon.


2 comments:

  1. That was really beautiful what you wrote about your father. I hope he reads it and is reminded of what a great son he has...as if he needs a reminder. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

    ReplyDelete